Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Sustainability as an adjective.

While I have been interested in Corporate Social Responsibility (the s is now sustainability) for some time as a business major. I have recently noticed that sustainability is being used increasingly as an adjective in various business theories and concepts.

From sustainable communication to sustainable marketing, our foray into CSR can be eased through adapting our business practices. While I agree that CSR must become part of the corporate culture and be introduced at every level of the company/organization I am fearful that we minimize the importance of sustainability by attaching it as an adjective and using it as a type of shorthand into real and meaningful change.

1 comment:

  1. This is an excellent point Arlaine. It seems like if we call something sustainable, it is all right to do or use, without much thought into what sustainable really means.

    What does "sustainable communications" really mean? That we can use this form of communications indefinitely? That is an odd thing to state since language changes all the time so I would argue that there is no such thing as sustainable communications.

    And my mind draws a blank for "sustainable marketing". I am not sure that anything that requires marketing is sustainable!

    ReplyDelete