Friday, March 6, 2009

Going green can be child's play!


When making changes, large or small, in an effort to reduce our carbon footprint, it may be worth following our children's example. My 9 year old twins have always been a model of ingenuity when reusing items. I mean who knew an apron could double as a headscarf or slippers make great beds for kittens or that almost anything makes terrific scenery for legos! Even when we think that no one could possibly want or use our "stuff" our children remind us that maybe there is someone with the vision to breathe new life into them. Donating is always better than the landfill.

Reducing our consumption may seem daunting but I know from experience that my children can make soap and shampoo last for months. I'm considering nominating them for an award because this kind of dedication at such a young age is truly inspiring. If it saves the planet I can live with a little dirt behind the ears.

Recycling is a natural for children, anything that protects the environment, helps animals and generally makes the world a better place will get kids attention. They are our planet's best defender in the wake of irresponsible grown ups. So when I get weary of washing another piece of trash for the recycling bin (using my dirty dish water of course!) or using cloth napkins instead of paper ones I just need to remind myself if my kids can do it so can I!

No comments:

Post a Comment